Friday, November 21, 2008

Dear Toys R Us,

I know that times are tough right now and the unemployment rate here in our little corner of America is unbelievably low (we live in West Texas where an oil boom is still going full blast) so good help is hard to find, BUT could you please train the employees that you do have a little bit better so that my shopping experience is a little more pleasant. I feel that a letter to you is more sufficient than calling the store manager, which has been done and is as helpful as her employees.

My husband and I do not have children yet, but we do have 10 nieces and nephews. Yes 10! That is at least 10 Christmas presents and 10 birthday presents a year. While I do realize on the big scale of things this might not be much, it is at least 20 toys that I will NOT be buying from your store.

Let me explain. Last February nephew #2 of 3 (yes the boys are very outnumbered) had a pirate themed birthday party. All of the little birthday guests were supposed to dress as a pirate. Since there is no Toys R Us store in the town 20 minutes away where the birthday boy lives, his mother called over to our Toys R Us and spoke with someone who told her they did in fact have a costume and would hold it so that her sister (me) could pick it up. We assumed that when I went someone at the CUSTOMER SERVICE desk they would know what I was talking about. I have never made a more wrong assumption. There were two people (kids) working the desk and when I explained to them what I needed, they looked at me like I was an alien that had come to take them away and probe them, like we all know aliens do. However, I did not say anything of the sort to these two fine employees, I swear, I didn't! After we all realized that the costume had not been set back like it was supposed to be, I asked to be pointed in the direction of the costume/dress up clothes. Again with the look. Seriously?! Are you sure that you two work here? Thankfully my sister contributes 4 of those 10 kids and has been in Toys R Us more than once or twice. I called her and she directed me to where I needed to be. From another town! I got the costume paid for and swore then that I would never be back.

Fast forward to October of this year. Niece #1 of 7 decided that she wanted Pixos for her birthday. I waited until I was on my way over to eat her birthday dinner with her to get her a present, because I love to procrastinate. Toys R Us in on the way to the neighboring town and I decided that these little Pixo things were new and surely someone in Toys R Us would know exactly where they were. After asking three people and walking around for 20 minutes looking for the stupid things, I finally found them myself, but they didn't have the exact one that I was looking for. Dialed 411 on my trusty cell phone and got the number for Target. The girl that answered got on their computer and told me exactly what they had in stock and where I could find it when I arrived at the store. Needless to say, Target got that sale WHILE I WAS STANDING IN YOUR STORE!

As Christmas quickly approaches, I feel fairly certain that any toy you have available can be found elsewhere and it will be.

Sincerely,

Never Again

PS: Dear Target, I love you. I always have and I always will. Sincerely, Yours

14 comments:

namaste said...

I agree!!!! And I love Target!!! WHOA!

Kristin said...

Hate Toys R us. The one in my town usually has one register open with a line so long that they should be serving beverages during the wait.

I heart Target.

Over from SITS. Thanks for visiting my Blog. Come back again soon.

litanyofbritt said...

also they are returns nazis. even to exchange sizes on the same outfit, with the stupid ugly tags still on!!

Anonymous said...

I haven't been in a Toys R Us in years because there isn't one close enough but everything you've said sounds so distinctly familiar to me. I just can't figure out where they are finding their employees. Sheesh.

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Erin.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

Toys R Us makes my right eye twitch. Just another reason why I do all my Christmas shopping online...and birthday shopping, well that's typically Target. Even though I can take a 5 minute {if that?} walk and be at our local Toys R Us, I still avoid it. Happy Friday SITSta!

Unknown said...

it is soo amazing the way blogging can bring people together! thanks for visiting my blog today and leaving such a nice comment! hooray for tarzhay!!! :)))

Claremont First Ward said...

You should head over to SITS and add your link as it meets the criteria for today to perfection.
www.thesecretisinthesauce.blogspot.com

I dislike ToysRUs too. A lot.

MaricrisG said...

nothing beats good customer service! I love Target!!! True fan I am :)
Happy link up saturday sistah!

Dennis and Leslie said...

I totally agree! Everytime I go there to buy a gift for my nephew, no one knows where anything is, and they are always so rude!! I heart Target too!!! Thanks for stopping by, keep in touch!

Christy said...

I HEART TARGET and I really dislike Toys R Us, I always feel depressed and claustrophobic when I go there, not to mention everything is overpriced.

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

Also? Toys R Us is dusty and gross. Dusty, because the same unsold toys sit on the shelf, unbought for centuries. and THIS is why I buy many things online. With your experience, I can only assume there is a reason why you have not succumbed to the Internet for your all your inventory-filled hassle-free purchases.

I love the name of your blog. And I love your letter! And Happy SITS Open Letter Day!

Anonymous said...

Hey a SITS visitor.

I dont even shop at Toys R Us because I am not one to wait 45 minutes in line to buy a toy I can get online without the wait.

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

I saw posing carrots on my site meter and lookie who I found. Toy R Us does not get our business either. They suck and the store is ugly.

Erin said...

We are Target people here.....but we pronounce it "Tarrrrrrr- JHeeeeet" like we are fancy french or something!