Thursday, December 4, 2008

Meet Mikey

Mama Kat is having her weekly writer's workshop and I decided to join in the fun this week!

She gave us 4 options this week and I chose #4.

4.) Describe a time when your pet caused chaos.

We all already know Izzy's story and the chaos that she has caused so I thought that I would pick on Mikey a little today.

My friend had two dachshunds and the person that she got her second one from was going to have puppies. I begged, pleaded and talked James into letting me have one of those adorable puppies. The puppies were born on our one year dating anniversary and would be ready to pick up shortly after we returned from our honeymoon. That means fate right? I was meant to have that puppy. We got pick of the litter and wanted a boy and only one boy was born. He was about 2 hours away so my friend sent pictures so that I could see him and he was soooo cute! The day he was ready to come home my friend went and got him from his current home and took him to her house. She told me she would be in town the following weekend and would bring him to me then. I couldn't wait that long, we drove the 4 hour round trip and got him that night.



Look at that face! How could you not love him?!? He was adorable and everything I thought that I had wanted.

In the beginning we kept him in a pet taxi to help potty train him, but after he was potty trained and a little bigger he began howling when we put him in the pet taxi, like we were killing him or something. We lived in an apartment so the noise was a bit of a problem, he was so loud that the neighbors could hear him. So after some thought and discussion we decided that we would leave him out of his taxi and let him roam the apartment. When we were there he slept a lot and just played with his toys, didn't use the bathroom in the house and really how much damaged could the little guy do. The answer to that is A LOT!

The first few weeks he was out of his pet taxi he dabbled in destruction. Chewed up whole rolls of toilet paper, dug the carpet out from under shut doors that we had shut so he couldn't get it, you know stuff that wasn't that big of a deal, he was a puppy and we would be moving soon.

Then one day I came home from being at class for a couple of hours and couldn't open the front door. It opened a little ways and then acted caught on something. I finally opened the door enough to get in and find that my precious little dog had PULLED UP THE CARPET. He dug at the front door until the carpet was loose and then pulled it back with his teeth to about the half way point of our living room. The corner next to the wall stayed in place or he probably would have pulled up the whole living room. The carpet pad was in shreads all around the house and the bare concrete was showing. I WAS PISSED! I knew that I couldn't kill him so I put him in his pet taxi, cleaned up the mess and bawled. Why did I have to have this dog soooo bad? Was I stupid or what?

A couple of days later I took Mikey outside to use the bathroom. We never put him on a leash because we wanted him to learn to stay with us and up to this point he had done a great job. He never wondered out of my site and didn't want me out of his. I have no idea what got into him that day, but he ran and ran and ran. I was in my pajamas with no shoes on chasing this damn dog through the apartment parking lot. We lived in the very back and he ran me all the way to the front. I was still pissed about the whole carpet thing and I had ran all that I could so I decided to just go back to the apartment. I called James at work and told him that Mikey had ran away, I tried to catch him but couldn't. His response was, we have spent too much money on him to let him run away, if you want to sell him fine but go find him! Oh yeah, we had been contemplating selling him because all the mess was just too much. I put some shoes on and decided that I would drive around to try to find him, this whole time I was crying. Crying because I was pissed and crying because my dog was gone. I loved him no matter how much mess he made. After getting myself together I headed out and when I opened the front door there he sat. Panting and thirsty, just waiting for someone to come back for him. Needless to say after that incident we bought a leash and he never roamed free again around the apartments.

I'm so glad that we made it through the first year because he has turned into a great dog and taught me a lot. Our future dogs will all thank him because I know how to handle puppies a lot better now!

Even though he isn't tiny anymore he is still pretty cute and he is my baby, my dog and I love him probably more than I should!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEY... I know that dog.

I remember that phone call too. I just pictured this $1200 check joggin' down the road.

I was like... GO GET HIM!

Diane said...

LOL... he 'dabbled in destruction'... too funny. Not funny at the time, though. I recall having to patch that drywall and being SO mad (no carpet issues, thank God!). Like you, though, I'm so thankful we made it through that year and that I didn't give him away... I love my boy and can't imagine my life without him.

Diane said...

PS... I read your hubby's 'guest post' from Izzy... I laughed out loud. First, please tell him I think he's a great writer. And second, I hope your knee is better!

Shala said...

Diane, he is a great writer, I love reading his posts. My knee is getting better, thank you!

Anonymous said...

lol. The things we put up with. I tell my pets it's a good thing they're cute or they'd be back at the pound ( I tell my hubby and daughter this, too).

Heather said...

Hahah, very similar stories. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has had to run barefoot in pajamas after an idiot dog.
You can't help but love them though, right? I mean, mine has destroyed A LOT of stuff, but he's still my heart. :)

Los said...

I'd love to have a puppy some day ... we don't really have the room or the time right now ... my wife isn't a big fan of dogs either. Hopefully, someday when we have kids, they will convince mommy to get a dog.

Jen said...

what a cute dog. I don't know what worse puppies or babies.

Rhonda said...

He doesn't look like he'd be any trouble at all... lol! It's amazing puppies, like teenagers, manage to see it through to their adult years! lol

April said...

Puppies! Gotta love em!

Minxy Mimi said...

OMG!!!!!! What a crazy dog!
Pets can be such a handful in their first years...sometimes you do want to give up. I am glad you didnt...he is so cute!
Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the nice comments!

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Puppies are such a mess. Glad to hear he grew up well. When our Manx cat was a kitten she chewed through a wire on my transcription equipment. She went from being a $100 cat to $250 in less than 24 hours.

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

dogs are just amazing little companions. my dog fiona has been a tough one at times but i am still glad we have her no matter all the drama.

great story!

Mama Wheaton said...

He is so cute! Glad you made it through the rough times.

Jenners said...

Stopping by on my tour of the MamaKat's writers workshop. My mom has a weiner dog too ... they are a bit devious, I think. I'm glad you were able to stick it out with him and it worked out in the end. I was getting worried as a read your story! Thanks for stopping by today too!

Honey Mommy said...

What a cute puppy! I am a dog person and my hubby is a no pets person. *sigh*

Liz said...

he is a cutie! those first couple years are rough! or as in the case with our dog...his whole life was rough (ruff)....

Lorina said...

LOL..

You have a way cute dog.. I don't own one, cause well.. I can only handle so much!

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Wah! Pets! Funny people.

tiarastantrums said...

funny - our dog is such a scaredy cat! she just is so scared of everything - my husband shouted at her and caged her so much when she was a puppy - I feel so bad for her - I have to DRAG her out of her crate sometimes b/c she thinks she is in trouble and she's not.

Casey's trio said...

I love dachshunds. Glad Mikey has settled down!